Put Your Geocaching Search Here

Monday, August 2, 2010

Adding Some New Geocoins To My Collection


I do not get the chance all that often to add to my ever growing geocoin collection. Yet when I do I am a kid in a candy store. To date I have over one hundred geocoins and growing. Today in the mail I have now added four more and put one extra into my unregistered pile for trading or possible swag. These particular geocoins were purchased from the Geocoin Store and the Geocoin Club (GCC) of which I am a member.

Wanna see? Well of course you do. Geocoins are one of the points of interest that make geocaching fun and interesting for many of us. Here is what I purchased.


I really like this one. It has a nickel finish with 3D shull and ship in a deep blue resin. The back of a coin is a compass set in the same blue. Why did I buy it? I love the whole look to it with the pirate theme. The coin itself has a good heft to it and feels right when you hold it.

I also purchased another with a red background and copper metal instead of the nickel. It is a good looking coin but for some reason I really am liking this one better.


I love Sherpa geocoins. In case you don't know a Sherpa geocoin has a whole on one side with a strong magnet in the middle. There you can place a pathtag that gets carried along with the coin as it travels. This green themed geocoin is geared to showcase pathtags but I have other types of Sherpa geocoins as well. Again great weight and feel when you hold it.

Take a chance, you never know what you might get. With GCC you can purchase what they refer to as their grab bag. In it you have a chance to pick up three random geocoins for the price of two. You don't know what you are going to get but that is part of the chance of a grab bag. In my case I lucked out. The first coin goes back to May of 2007 with the Hide and Seek geocoin. It didn't make me go all goo-goo or nothing but it was cool to be able to pick up a geocoin that you can't get anymore except in something like this.

Now this geocoin made me smile. Not because the coin itself is overly amazing but because when I first started joining the GCC was back in May of 2008 which was the Brings May Flowers dual geocoin. In other words the shape of the April geocoin fits into the May geocoin which was my first. Now my geocoin set is complete which I was rather pleased to receive this unexpected geocoin.

My third and final geocoin was the June 2008 Copernicus geocoin of which I already have so that will be in my trade-able geocoins collection or possibly given away as swag to some geocaching find that I am impressed with.

So there you have it. A small but very recent sample of my geocoin collection. Everybody collects one thing or another. For me these geocoins are something that brings out the pirate in me and also can fill a rather large treasure chest display. How cool is that?

What is your favorite geocoin? Send in a photo and it may make it on my blog or an upcoming GeoSnippits video. Email it to: headhardhat@gmail.com


GeoCache: I'm NOT Obsessed... Right?
http://headhardhat-geocache.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------------------------
Twitter me at
@headhardhat

Please don't forget to visit our GeoSnippits Geocaching Tutorial Videos Website at
http://www.geosnippits.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pauline said...

i love adding new coins to the collection i just purchased a 10 yr coin :) Happy caching

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MontereyCompany said...

There is something about collecting geocoins that makes one giddy no? i love it to. We have created quite a few over the years and the collection just keep growing. I will have to do some searching for the photos we have been sent to share here.

Kris said...

Are you coming to GeoCoinFest here in the Twin Cities next month? We are very excited to be having the event so close to home! :)