Put Your Geocaching Search Here

Thursday, February 4, 2010

HHH Lunchtime GotD: Hello Ms. Property Owner

Well this was definitely one for the books kiddies. Not necessarily the find itself but the situation it caused.

I started out the same as always with the closest geocache on my list. Headed over and within moments spotted the cache. Nothing out of the normal until I heard a voice from behind me.

"Can I help you?"

I instantly thought security or police but when I turned around I observed a woman in a fairly nice car looking at me with quizative eyes.

I replied, "No, just looking for something."

It was then that she identified herself as the property owner. This cache was hidden in the middle of a huge parking lot with multitudes of buildings. Not someone I would like to have made mad. Now I could have lied, walked away or done something stupid like you read in the news. Instead I went with my gut and told the truth.

"Ever hear of a game called geocaching," I said with a smile.

"No, sorry!" says she.

Great, I think to myself but I had a plan. I first showed her the cache and log book inside as I explained what geocaching was. With her permission I put the cache back and then handed her a brochure about geocaching. I always keep them in my pack.

By the time I was done she thanked me for educating her about geocaching and said she would do more research about it. Then drove off towards one of the buildings.

If this was not handled correctly it could have turned ugly but it didn't. I remained calm and gave needed information to resolve the situation. The brochure just sealed the information with something tangible to hold. A good lesson learned for those who need to learn it.

Definitely an interesting story to be able to tell the next time I am asked how to handle these encounters. Until the next Lunchtime Geocache of the Day...

By the way you can get the link to those brochures off of this blog by going here:

-HHH
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: